Iconix Acquires Majority of Ed Hardy License

For the Iconix Brand Group, owning 50 percent of the Ed Hardy license wasn’t enough.

It now owns 85 percent of the worldwide master license for Ed Hardy after paying $55 million to Christian Audigier’s Nervous Tattoocompany, based in Los Angeles. The other 15 percent of the license isowned by San Francisco tattoo artist Don Ed Hardy, whose tattoo artworkformed the basis of the brand.“We are excited to be able toutilize our marketing and licensing expertise to re-energize the EdHardy brand. The brand has an extremely high level of consumer awarenessin the United States as well as very strong international business,”Neil Cole, Iconix’s chairman and chief executive, said in a statement.New York–based Iconix—whose stable of brands includes Candie’s, Joe Boxer, Bongo, Rampage, Mossimo, Ocean Pacific, Roca Wear and Badgley Mischka—announcedthe acquisition on April 27. It expects the Ed Hardy brand to generate$15 million to $16 million a year in royalty payments.

UnderAudigier’s guidance, the Ed Hardy brand was licensed for more than 100products, including Ed Hardy water, car air fresheners, wine, umbrellas,canine couture, skateboards, watches, model cars, fake tattoos,swimsuits, purses, shoes, scarves and belt buckles. Nervous Tattoo will pay $7 million in royalties to Iconix to continue as a licensee of T-shirts, hats and hoodies. —Deborah Belgum